Reaching the first year milestone is a BIG one, and I think every parent would agree. I describe it like a deep breath. We made it, we survived (mostly) unscathed, and we’re left with the confidence that “ok, we can do this.” The joke that the first birthday party is for the parents isn’t too far from reality. We deserve the celebration as much as anyone, am I right?
Another deep breath came from completing Layla’s monthly baby photos! Phew! They weren’t always easy to get, especially once she started rolling, crawling and walking.
At my baby shower, each of my girlfriends made a dreamcatcher and I’ve LOVED using them in each of Layla’s monthly baby photos.
Below are a couple tips for taking a successful monthly photo:
- Choose consistent elements in the same setting. I used a fuzzy blanket, printed monthly number, and dreamcatcher.
- Have everything in the scene set before placing baby
- Do a test shot with your camera to make sure lighting is good.
- Use the same camera settings each month if possible. Makes editing a little easier.
- Do the photo shoot at a time baby is most likely to be happy. For us it was right after her morning nap.
- Get help. After month 4, I couldn’t do it by myself. Someone else had to be there to place her and keep her distracted ;).
- Do it fast! All of the above pictures were snapped within 20 seconds of laying her down.
- Bribe with snacks. See month 9? It was the only way. Month 7 she found her own snack.
Gotta love the outtakes:
Does anyone enjoy monthly baby photos as much as I do?