The benefits of drinking lemon water every morning – and why I prefer to use essential oil
I go to bed every night with a large glass of water on my nightstand. It’s like a security blanket, I would panic if I didn’t have it…but I rarely use it. I drink a few sips before going to bed (with my nightly magnesium pills) and in the morning I have almost a full glass of room temperature water to drop my lemon essential oil into. I’ve built it into my daily routine, and here are the reasons why:
- For its cleansing properties. Lemon oil is high in antioxidants, which support the cleansing organs (namely the liver) and their natural process to flush toxins out of your body.
- For its digestive benefits. Lemon oil helps support the digestive system and move “things” along – and I need all the help I can get in that department (hence, the magnesium supplements).
- It’s an immune system booster thanks to the high level of Vitamin C and potassium.
- For a clean mouth (and fresh breath). It fights bacteria in my mouth. Between that, oil pulling and my on guard toothpaste, my mouth feels very taken care of!
- For its skin benefits, again thanks to the vitamin c and high level of antioxidants. Vitamin C assists in the production of collagen – which in turn can prevent wrinkles!
- For a little added energy. I don’t drink coffee in the morning anymore (sad face) so I’ll take any little boost I can get.
Because lemon juice can erode the enamel on your teeth, I like to use lemon essential oil instead of actual lemons. The oil is made from cold-pressing the lemon RIND and therefore does and does not contain the citric acid of the fruit, making it safe for your teeth. It’s also much more potent – something like 20 lemons are used to make one drop of lemon oil. Plus it’s way easier to drip oil into a glass than to get up, cut and squeeze a lemon…convenience is key. 😉
A few final tips to make your daily lemon water ritual most effective and enjoyable:
- Drink the lemon water right when you wake up
- Use room temperature water or warmer
- Use filtered water – since fluoride and chlorine in tap water is toxic to the body
- Wait 15-30 minutes before having breakfast
- Always drink citrus essential oils from a GLASS container